Network Status as of September 24, 2018:
- September 24, 2018
- ADRO to ANOIA is back up
- ANOIA has a 147.555 radio on the omni now, to link to MARKDM:KN4BTI, and 144.45 is linking to SKIP via a 4-element yagi
- MARKDM is now on the air though link quality wasn't great. We'll try a different radio in a week.
- SNELL is moving to Fuque Varina. He's actually in range of KK4QMB.
- TILL to TADD is moving from 2m to 900Mhz. This will free up the 5-el 2m yagis at both sites for future links
- August 18, 2018
- DOUG to GREG is up
- ADRO to ANOIA died. We don't know why yet. It's a good thing we now have ANOIA - SKIP - CHRIS - FFVC - ADRO as a backup.
- July 26, 2018
- CHRIS-to-SKIP is up on 441.025
- ADAM is off the network. Hopefully not for long.
- July 19, 2018
- CHRIS node is up with 1 link. Link CHRIS-to-SKIP may happen.
- GREG was up and testing. Hopefully he'll be back. GREG links to DOUG.
- DOUG node is on. He'll be linking to GREG
- ADAM KM4DLS is off, hopefully for not very long.
- We're working on nodes at GREG, DANIEL, MARK, KEVIN, SCRCCO.
- There is thunder in the west. People are talking about starting one or more TARPN hatchlings in High Point through Boone.
- June 9, 2018
- ADRO is back
- TILL now has 3 links, to FIN, VON and TADD
- DOUG node is on. He'll be linking to GREG
- ADRO site antenna is back up.
- AC4RD:KEN is disconnected -- foliage killed the link. DANIEL node will serve in the middle when it comes on.
- March 31, 2018
- SCOTT off the air. Hasn't come back
- GREG temporarily off the air.
- VON is linked to TILL
- ADRO site having antenna problems for a couple of weeks. Expected back after RARSfest.
- AC4RD:KEN is on the network connected to TADD.
- January 12, 2018
- VON to TADD moved to 433.7Mhz
- TADD to GREG added on 144.41
- October 15, 2017
- ADAM node is connected to FFVC node on 433.
- SCOTT node temporarily offline due to in-house remodeling work
- July 09, 2017
- ANOIA is now linked to SNELL on 6m.
- We're planning to replace VON to TADD with 433Mhz.
- June 17, 2017
- SCOTT node is up with 3 radios on 4 ports. 50.97 is linked to FFVC, and 145.75 is linked to SNELL.
- I've decided that multipath is a big problem when working with Omni vertical antennas.
The link from VON to TADD and VON to FIN on 2m were both plagued with multipath.
Now I think the problem is that there is a water tower just hundreds of feet away from VON node and the path from the VON antenna up to the water tower and over to FIN or TADD is as good as the non reflected path.
Our solution is going to be to move VON to TADD to a pair of 10 element beams on 433Mhz.
That should fix it.
- March 27, 2017
- SKIP node is up with two ports. 144Mhz to ANOIA and 51Mhz to BRYAN
- March 25, 2017
- ANOIA node is up with two ports, 440Mhz to ADRO, and 145Mhz to SKIP
- FIN and TILL link is now at 7% or so.
- SCOTT node is coming soon. That will link into FFVC and bring SNELL back in the network.
- March 5, 2017
K4RGN, TILL, has a new dual band corner reflector beam aimed at FIN.
This improved the situation.
We're at 15% retry rate now and working on a radio replacement, aiming at < 5% retry rate.
- JENRET is off permanently. W4JSK:SCOTT node, coming soon, will take over the link to SNELL
- FIN to AARON is working mighty well now.
FIN bought a 4-element yagi to link to AARON and this made a big difference.
Aaron KF4EZU did some work on the 6m radio at his end as well.
- HANK node is going off the air. FFVC is now directly linked to VON node. HANK equipment will end up in another node shortly.
- ANOIA:KW4KZ is still coming soon. Chuck has his GP15 up 80' in a tree and has tested it by talking directly to Billy KE4VNC on 2m.
He also was able to talk to FFVC and easily hear ADRO.
The plan is to tie ADRO to ANOIA on 440, and SKIP to ANOIA on 2m.
Then ANOIA may use 6m to talk west, possibly to KJ4OLI in Efland.
- John, N4RMV, is looking to establish a node in Archer's Lodge, Johnston County.
Billy KE4VNC is working with him on antennas.
- October 22, 2016
- TILL node got a new antenna. This should improve the FIN to TILL 440 link.
- FIN node got a new antenna for 6m FIN to AARON link, but that didn't help it enough. So Fin, NC4FG, got an even better 6m antenna. 4 element Arrow 6m yagi. Not up yet.
- W4AUV. Dale, said he'd have a node if somebody wants to help with it. Dale's site would make a great midpoint and alternate path to the now weak AARON to FIN link.
The idea is to link Dale with AARON on 2m and TILL on 70cm.
- KA2DEW put up a node at work called FFVC:KA2DEW-3 in RTP. That is linked to ADRO and to HANK.
- DAVIS is off the air entirely. Charlie says he'll be back but he's repairing antennas on his tower.
- ANOIA:KW4KZ is completely assembled except for stringing a tree. It turns out that node cannot talk to SNELL but it can talk to SKIP and ADRO. We're going to link them up.
- VON to FIN never worked very well so we moved it to VON to TADD.
- FIN 2m can now be used to expand, hopefully we can get a station in Cary to link to FIN
- JENRET node, maintained by ka2dew, is off the air, maybe due to stress-broken coax. The run was hanging in free space for quite a distance. Bad
- June 5, 2016
- TILL node is up.
- ANOIA:KW4KZ node is coming soon.
- We're going to delete the 440 link from SKIP to ADRO and instead put CHUCK in the middle.
- DAVIS to BILLY link is off the air, temporarily. WA3UTC:DAVIS took a lightning hit. It didn't hurt packet, but Charlie, WA3UTC, borrowed the packet node's coax to restore HF functionality
- ANOIA:KW4KZ is also in range of SNELL so that may give us a complete loop.
- March 29, 2016
- AARON node is up. FIN to AARON on 50.99 horizontal and AARON to BILLY on 431.1 vertical, soon to be horizontal. Welcome AARON!
- March 20, 2016
- Billy started working on a new plan for his link to FIN. The 6m link from BILLY to FIN has been unreliable. The new plan
involves getting a new site AARON:KF4EZU-2 on the air at Knightdale. Welcome Aaron. The 6m link moves from BILLY to FIN over to AARON to FIN.
AARON to BILLY is short range and can be done on 440. Hopefully that will be running in March. However, for much of January and February
the BILLY site was completely off-line, breaking the network into two pieces. As of Feb 29th, BILLY is back up in the old capacity of linking
to FIN and to DAVIS.
- SAM:KM4WUF joined us with a 440 link to TADD. Welcome Sam!
- VON:AI4WV - name Steve - joined us with a 2m link to FIN. Welcome Steve!.
- HANK node is on-the-air linked into VON. Welcome Hank!
- KEITH:W1KES joined us with a 2m link to ADRO. Welcome Keith. Keith is working with Chuck KW4KZ north-west of Durham, to do a 6m link between the two.
- We have lost ERECH and BRYAN, at least for the moment.
- Oct 11, 2015
- Adding 4th port to ADRO to support KEITH node. JOE, KEITH, DOUG, CHUCK testing simplex paths and acquiring parts.
- WILSON acquiring parts. ADRO node rebuilt into Skip-box.
- Oct 1, 2015
- FIN to BILLY now reliable due to change of frequency and away from a noise emitter on 6m and improved antenna and RF susceptibility on both ends.
- FIN to TADD now moved to 220 to eliminate in-band interference at TADD. This frees up the 2m rig at FIN.
- As soon as we can we're moving the 2m link ADRO to DAVIS to 144.31 from 144.35. 144.35 is apparently co-opted for a Chinese satellite uplink.
- Aug 30, 2015
- Added FIN site. Link from TADD to BILLY replaced by TADD to FIN and FIN to BILLY
- THEDON is up but we stole his 2m link at BILLY and will be moving THEDON over to BILLY or to DAVIS.
- SCOTT and JEFF are now on-line but BRYAN got hit by lightning. That should be back on shortly. The lightning
hit his dipole and killed the HF rig and the Raspberry PI.
- We're working on links west from ADRO and SNELL to eventually make a loop of the network, providing
decent robustness. Dave, W4VU has a node up west of Burlington that will hopefully be connected as
part of the western plan.
- Everybody on the list below has acquired Raspberry PI and TNC-PIs so they can connect to our network.
Some are working on antennas, others waiting for a neighbor to tie into.